Affiliate marketing knowledge is quite essential to a person who is contemplating starting an affiliate marketing business online. All online business entrepreneurs need to realize the importance of this before they commit financially, emotionally, mentally and physically.
If importance isn’t placed, then you may run the risk of burn-out fast. Understanding before starting is always the best way to tackle something which may seem foreign to you.
Below you will find my understanding of the whole affiliate marketing knowledge thing. I hope to make it as simple as possible for newbies, without creating a runaround on what I’m talking about.
What is Affiliate Marketing
Back in 1996 when Amazon first launched their affiliate program, many of us scrambled around trying to figure out what it even meant to be an affiliate. I struggled with this term for at least 5 to 6 years before I figured out what it meant to be an affiliate.
So basically a breakdown of what it meant to me was, having an online business where you lead people into buying other people’s products. Further to break this down, it’s almost like you are a retailer in a brick and mortar store reselling other people’s stuff.
Mostly you are running your store within the concept of affiliate marketing.
The true definition of affiliate marketing:
Is to promote other people’s products, through an affiliate network. Here you can offer your readers coupons, incentives as well as financial bonuses. Revenue sharing is the central concept behind this.
You lead a customer online to buying a product through a link you have created; you share the revenue with the individual who is selling the product.
Know the Appeal of Affiliate Marketing Headlines and Content
What I like about affiliate marketing is that I don’t have to worry about refunds or to offer any customer service. This is done by the merchant who is providing the product. Once a person clicks off my content link, then it becomes a merchant’s responsibility to take care of the customer.
Affiliate marketing is a smart way to make passive income which can lead to long-term financial growth. All you need to do is create great content, put some links in there which customers will click on which will hopefully lead to sales for you.
The more content you have, the more space you create for yourself to put in affiliate links. According to studies done online, only 4% of your readers will convert. But for that happen you need to create content which is engaging as well informative.
You only have 0-8 seconds for your headline to catch the attention of a potential reader, or you risk losing them. Create headlines which your readers are looking for or are unique which piques their curiosity.
The more landing pages you create, the more chance you have of being found. This is where finding the perfect keywords come in handy. The more laser-focused you are on your keyword, the more chance of success you have.
Actionable Affiliate Marketing Steps You Should Take Action On
Okay, there are at least three if not more affiliate marketing steps you should take action on. Below I am listing the three steps that I have found most important in affiliate marketing knowledge.
- When you feel very strongly about your product – most people become very wary of when a product is being pushed at them. Don’t put your affiliate link in the first paragraph of your content. This drives people away very quickly. You need to believe in the product you’re promoting; the belief comes across nice when your writing about it.
- You need to go nice and slow – many people think when they get into affiliate marketing success is going to be instant. Unfortunately, that’s not the case, the slower you go, the more likely you are to attain success for long-term gains. By deliberately going slow means you are focusing on each step with remarkable detail. It’s this focus which is going to determine your longevity online.
- Creating a trustworthy reputation – your reputation as a marketer online speaks volumes for you. If you are one of those people who creates gimmicky type reviews based on quick financial rewards programs, you may lose readers fast. Most times when people are looking into purchasing a product/service, they will read many reviews online. If they come to your website and see all you are saying is positive stuff about which have read otherwise, the trust factor goes down quite fast. Build trust by laying out the real deal on products/service.
Know the Factors Which Determine Success Online
There are three factors which will help you determine what type of success you are having online.
- Visitors/traffic – this is where your Google analytics account will come in handy. You can check the type of traffic you’re getting, where they’re coming from as well how quickly they are clicking off of the landing page, they landed on. This can also help you determine which pages you may need to optimize to keep readers there for a longer period. If you feel that you don’t have the visitors/traffic you’re hoping for, it’s okay just keep creating great content. They will come.
- Click Rate – this is where you the marketer gets to throw in your knowledge of the product/service you’re promoting. It’s not as simple as throwing in an affiliate link, hoping others will click on it. At one time sidebars used to work, but not so much anymore unless the link is enticing and attractive. Read what one of my favorite affiliate marketers Zac Johnson says are five simple ways to boost quick rates (not an affiliate link).
- Conversion Rate – this rate is referred to the number of customers who became buyers of the product/service you are promoting. The more buyers you’re getting, the more definite it becomes that you have picked the right merchant. If for some reason people are clicking off your links, but not buying, you need to go back to the merchant drawing board.
People Skills Are a Must
Remember as an online affiliate marketer your customers don’t just see you as a faceless online marketing service. More they see you as a person they can trust who will provide the knowledge they need on products/services.
You may never meet the readers reading your content, but your customers will always see you more than just a salesperson. You become their go-to person in making many important online decisions.
The best way to build great people skills is by providing outstanding value. Don’t just become another site they come to looking for answers, only to click away without finding anything of importance.
Design a Great Website
This is highly crucial to achieving/maintaining success. Make sure your site is easy to navigate as well as loads up quickly. I noticed that when I go to click on a website if they don’t load up within 5 to 10 seconds, I’m out of there. Check speed insights to how quickly your site loads.
Many people nowadays use WordPress to drive their websites. What I know is here is that there are a lot of plug-ins which help with the efficiency of creating a great website, but not so much with the loading time. The best thing to do is to keep your plug-in to a minimum of 5 to 8.
What I have found that works for me, is learning code. This helps you to create your website the way you want it, without having to install too many plug-ins.
Be Able to Work Independently
One of the most important aspects to focus on is being able to work independently. This means you will have to motivate yourself to get your business up and running.
This will be every morning, weekly, monthly, and yearly effort. As you know when you’re the sole person doing the business online, there is no one there to motivate you.
It’s your job to make sure you stay motivated. This is a great time to build a support group of those who are in the same line of work as you. There are many programs out there that offer this support, but Wealthy Affiliate is my favorite program for that support.
In this program, there are over 1.4 million members who are there as your support group as well they will help you out when you need it.
There you go affiliate marketing knowledge in a nutshell. Okay so not a nutshell, but you have to agree very long highly readable content. At least that is the impression I hope to leave you with.
Let me know in comments below if you found anything worthwhile here.